...

...
------------------------------------------------------------

This Day in GINGEROLOGY


GingerTelevision...

Next GingerFilm(s) (on TCM - all times Eastern):

----------------------


Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy Thanks'ginger', Y'all...

...Hello, all! Just wanting to wish all of you Gingerologists out there a festive, yet reflective Thanksgiving weekend! DON'T FORGET the Ginger/Fred-a-thon begins at 4:30 am on Thursday Morning!
Of course, when this season rolls around each year, I can't help but be reminded of that beguiling Turkey Day we all shared at VKM's place back in '37...I'm sure you all remember it as fondly as I...


Of course, her digs in Beverly Hills was the only place large enough to accomodate us all comfortably...and of course she was ever the gracious host... this picture captures the color palette from that era, in that everything was 'pastel' in nature...that is why 'colorized' films have those 'mild' hues... global warming has made colors more intense...


Her entry foyer contained these large sculpture-type objects, of large white horses with dudes with pointy hats riding them... she seemed to be very proud of those, for whatever reason... and she loved to greet her guests in a very fashionable and engaging manner, whilst posing in front of these horses...she looked fabulous, natch...

Of course, being in motion pictures, she always eagerly documented any gathering with her camcorder...I believe this was an early Sony model, which ran on kerosene... unfortunately, the film itself was comprised of asbestos and DDT, and was thus eventually confiscated and destroyed by fringe groups which could best be described as 'lacking in patriotism'...

Well, of course the main reason for our convergence was the Great Thanksgiving Feast, which Ginger was so famous for... and as expected, the presentation was stunning...the table setting was immaculate, totally perfect in every way... I honestly could not find a picture of her table setting, however, so I opted to include this photo of her setting on a table...which honestly is far more stunning than any arrangement of china and silverware one could muster...


Ginger was such a great hostess...promptly delivering all of the scrumptious dishes she had lovingly prepared to the table with lightning speed and unparalleled grace, never letting her guests want for anything... and all this whilst in high heels, and if not totally backwards, at least in directions which were not of a typical nature, even for VKM...


After we had all gormandized to the verge of lunacy, Ginger swiftly cleared the table and summoned us to her famous ice cream fountain, where she held court over the frozen delicacies...hey, does anyone remember what flavor was Ginger's fav? I think it was pistachio... ...notice how she effortlessly changes outfits between each phase of the serving schedule...as well as hairstyles; remember, these photos were all taken on the SAME DAY!!! They just don't make ladies like that anymore, y'all...well, present company excluded, of course...heh heh...


Well, by then we all had to somehow get moving around to burn off some calories or else perish, so VKM broke out her racket, cracked open a new can of Wilsons and hit the court... Ginger didn't soft shoe when it came to tennis, and she waxed anyone foolhardy enough to find themselves across the net from her. I still have a few round divots on my forehead where she cranked out a few backhands at me...she would have been lethal with a graphite racket...


Well, after the tennis whuppins were administered by our otherwise gracious host, it was getting to be early evening, and folks were starting to make their 'final rounds' for goodbyes, was so good to see you again, let's do lunch, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera... and Ginger was kinda ready to start getting the house back in order, I could tell... she knew how we tended to 'linger' at her place well after the event proper was over (especially me...), hence she was getting a bit 'concerned', as the picture above shows... but still a graceful hostess, as usual...


But before anyone could get away, I grabbed my trusty Kodak Brownie and snapped a few group pictures for posterity...I'm sure y'all remember posing for this one - it's kinda neat going back and picking out which one is which...but heck, y'all know which one you are in this pic... Let's see, there's Lauren, Beth, Jennifer, Maggie, Juliette, Amanda, Maria, Arianna, Winona, Alex, Betsy, Fioraon, Mirriam, Kate, Nicole, Sarah, Kori and of course, Ginger... hmmmm, looks like a few of y'all were missing in this particular pic - I think a couple of y'all cut out early to go on over to Barbara Stanwyck's shindig that evening...didn't Tom drive some of y'all over there in his straight-eight Packard?


Well, after everyone else had left, as usual, I was still hanging around (Miss Stanwyck did not invite me to her shindig - she honestly just didn't like me at all... and just because she caught me rummaging thru her garbage cans a few times...) Ginger was a bit frazzled by my tenacity, but at the same time somehow touched that I was still there (she was such a patient lady...) But, she had to leave right then and there for Chicago for a week, regarding some movie, play, etc... never a sedentary moment for that lady, THATS for sure... she said I could have the remainder of the turkey carcass for sustanance, and I could stay out in her pool house, which was very generous of her... of course, that's when I parlayed the situation into becoming her full-fledged cabana boy just a few weeks later, fetching ice cream for her and her guests, while being allowed to converse with her every once in a while... such a perfect occupation... the only possible way it would have been better was if I was actually on the payroll... but you guys did a great job helping me out financally, with all the USO shows y'all put on... which is what Thanksgiving is all about, right?
Well, I hope this recollection of that wonderful day back in '37 has given you a warm, sentimental feeling...and implores you to make the most of the impending Turkey Day, in order to have more great memories for the years to come...
Have a great and safe weekend, y'all!!!
Huey - VKMfan - Gingerologist

9 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I remember that day! I tugged on your sleeve a few times when we were all leaving (Juliette and I were going to go crash Barbara's party), but you were in such awe of Ginger that you weren't responsive. I finally gave up and left you standing there. We took a picture first, of course. : )

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA this is totally crozzled! Did this come to you in one of your dreams? I can see where the laughing fit, well, fits in.
    Question: Brownies in the 30s? Didn't know. I want one.

    I should stop reading your blog otherwise I will have crows feet by the time I reach the ripe old age of 19 (10 days everyone, don't forget it!)

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Methinks you've been partaking of some holiday cheer a little early, lol! ;) If I can take command of the TV after dinner before it gets switched to football, I'll be watching some of the marathon. Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely be living through this fantasy tomorrow while I pretend to be present with my insane family!

    PS: It's worht noting that I left with Cary Grant and Randolph Scott, and the three of us were not seen at any other parties for the rest of the evening ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! Thanks for stopping by. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Winona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope all had a great Turkey Day! And thanks for the comments...just thought it would be kinda fun to do a little 'creative writing'...

    AC - I guess after Ginger left town, I should have sneaked over to Stanwyck's throwdown and tried to sneak in with y'all... but as you noted, I was pretty well spent after being in Ginger's presence...

    Lauren - Thanks - and you are probably right, Miss 'Camera Expert', Brownies were most likely not around in the mid-30's... after further reseach, it was a Canon 'Sure-Shot'...

    Gingerella - well, actually, I can come up with things like this w/o any 'additives' (scary, eh?)...hope you got to watch plenty of Ginger/Fred Thursday... I watched bits and pieces between festivities, and got some relatives to watching, so that was cool...

    Maggie - Hope your Turkey Day went well.. I have had a few of those thanksgivings with more, er...'interesting' family members...but not in recent years. AND, I wasn't going to bring up your interlude with CG and RS, but you may feel led to expound on it over on SSD... :-]

    SCD - Thanks for the kind words! Hope you and yours had a Great Turkey Time as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, yes I do remember that day!

    Very good story Jwalker!!! Liked it a lot. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...Hope y'all had a great one, too, GF11!!! Back to the 'norm' tomorrow, tho... but fret not, for Christmas is just a few weeks away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL this is the craziest post ever! I think for the tennis post you should have used the pic from the book of Ginger leaping over her tennis net - except that was taken in the late 40s...I guess you were looking for pictures from the same time frame.

    ReplyDelete

Awards...Thanks, Y'all!!!

...I TRULY appreciate these, and the kind words regarding this blog...thanks for all the inspiration I have drawn from each of your blog sites, which are all awesome in their unique ways!!!
It is my hope that I can continue to make 'G-ology' interesting and informative regarding the 'Beautiful Science' of VKM, which is SUCH a great topic!!! ...And remember, your comments are what make Gingerology click - so keep cranking them out!

Thanks again, JW

Awarded by Gingerella on 11/18/09 AND by Sally on 01/31/10

Awarded by Gingerella on 11/18/09 AND by Sally on 01/31/10
Thanks, Gingerella and Sally!!!

Awarded by Amanda Cooper on 11/21/09

Awarded by Amanda Cooper on 11/21/09
Thanks, AC!!!

Awarded by Maggie on 02/10/10 AND by Kate Gabrielle on 02/11/10

Awarded by Maggie on 02/10/10 AND by Kate Gabrielle on 02/11/10
Thanks, Maggie and Kate Gabrielle!!!

Awarded by Camille on 03/25/11 AND by Anna on 03/29/11

Awarded by Camille on 03/25/11 AND by Anna on 03/29/11
Thanks, Camille and Anna!!!

Hometowns to Hollywood Busby Berkeley Blogathon 2018

Hometowns to Hollywood Busby Berkeley Blogathon 2018
...including the Gingerology entry of 'Gold Diggers of 1933'...